Denver, Colorado, is a spectacular city at the base of the Rocky Mountains that should be at the top of anyone’s travel list. It’s the capital of Colorado and is a major metropolis boasting a diverse culture of food and entertainment. There’s also a variety of leisure and adventure activities, as well as some of the most beautiful scenery that you’ll ever see. When you visit Denver, what will you need to know about? Here are a few of the top places to see and things to do while visiting Denver.
Seeing the Sights
Denver has several attractions that are worth checking out, but some of the top ones include the following:
- Denver Art Museum: Visit one of the largest art museums in the country to see a variety of art exhibits and displays. Tickets are $20 for adult nonmembers and $12 for adult members, $5 for kids (6–18), and free for children under 5.
- Denver Botanic Gardens: This beautiful garden occupies 23 acres and features more than 40 individual gardens, several waterfalls, art sculptures, and an outdoor venue for summer concerts. Tickets are $12.50 for adults, $9.50 for seniors and military personnel, $9 for students, $9 for kids (3–15), and free for children 2 and under.
- Denver Zoo: Another popular attraction in Denver is the zoo. It’s home to more than 600 different species of animals, including sea lion pups, lion cubs, and a baby zebra. Tickets are $17 for adults, $14 for seniors (65+), $12 for kids (3–11), and free for children under 3.
- Colorado State Capitol: The state capitol sees about 300,000 visitors every year. If you arrive between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., you can participate in a 45-minute guided tour, including a trip to the dome.
- 16th Street Mall: Explore the heart of downtown Denver by visiting the mile-long 16th Street Mall. It’s an outdoor mall that has a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment. With free shuttles running throughout the city, you can easily get to and from the mall.
Experiencing the Essential Denver
The foregoing attractions are definitely worth seeing, but what sort of activities should you plan for on your Denver vacation?
- Watch a sports game: Denver, Colorado, is home to five professional sports teams: the Denver Broncos, Colorado Rockies, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, and Colorado Rapids. Depending on what time of the year you are traveling to Denver, you should try to catch a professional game. In fact, you can see the defending Super Bowl champions, the Broncos, play outside in the Sports Authority Field at Mile High.
- Plan a ski or snowboarding trip: While there are no ski or snowboarding options in downtown Denver, there are several world-class ski resorts near the city:
- Loveland Ski Area
- Keystone & Breckenridge Resorts
- Copper Mountain Ski Resort
- Winter Park Ski Resort
- Eldora Mountain Ski Resort
- See a concert: Another benefit to all the professional sports teams is that out of season, their facilities are used for music concerts. If you want to see what musicians are performing during your travel dates, check out some of the following venues:
- Don’t forget to get R&R: Leisure is one of the major benefits to traveling, and when you stay in Denver, there are plenty of things you can do to relax. If you’re looking for a little rest and relaxation, Denver has a number of spas that offer massages and beauty treatments. Denver also has world-renowned restaurants that can satisfy the most discriminating palate.
Have you visited Denver? If so, let us know what you thought below, and tell us about the must-see attractions or must-do activities that are on your list.
Image via Flickr by catmccray